Saturday, May 23, 2009

What is The Right Amount of Money to Save For Retirement?

People have often asked me what is the correct amount of money to save for their golden years. I only have one answer to that, "as much as you can"! Obviously, the more money that you save the better off you'll be in your retirement years. A rule of thumb is to put at least 15% of your gross income in to your retirement plan. The more money you make, the less you will be able to put in to your 401K plan. There are rules set by the government on how much you can actually put away. These rules were established so that the rich couldn't just put all their money in to their retirement plan to avoid paying taxes on the money. I am not sure how much you can actually put in your 401K, but you can also start putting money in to your own IRA accounts if you maxed your company retirement plan out. There's rule about that also, but a good account would know what to do. Unfortunately for me, I am not in that situation. I wish everyone good health and great investing!

No comments: